- Realtors don't want to be invited to seminars anymore - 128
- Nonprofit Receives Overwhelming Response And Awards For Rainbowland Documentary
- Florida Author George Encizo Releases New Mystery Novel - Anguished
The volunteers were comprised of workers from Teamsters Local 385 and UNITE HERE! Local 737 that were laid off due to the ongoing pandemic.
Two Teamsters from Freeman Decorating, which handles event and convention work at the Disney properties and the convention center, were among those who volunteered for Saturday's food bank. Richard Cella and Sam Harris have both been laid off since March, but felt it was their duty to help others in need during this difficult time.
Cella, a 17-year member of Local 385 and steward for the drivers at Freeman, has volunteered for four weeks at this food bank. When he heard about the food bank from some of his co-workers, he immediately signed up to help.
"I wasn't prepared for being laid off, and I know that many of my coworkers weren't prepared," Cella said. "So anything I can do for those in need – like this food bank – is a great thing to bring the community together during these challenging times. It's inspiring to see UNITE HERE! and the Teamsters coming together to help as best we can."
More on The Floridant
- SouthState Corporation Declares Quarterly Cash Dividend
- Digitec Interactive partners with NYU to help schools understand autism & promote inclusion
- GrayRobinson Attorney Tom Cloud Receives Prestigious Paul S. Buchman Award from FMAA
- D.J. Arrazcaeta Named One of "America's Best"
- Make You Shine With Back To School Deals At Beauty Forever Hair Mall
Harris is a 20-year Teamster and steward for the convention workers that work inside the facilities. He has also volunteered for the food bank for the past four weeks. For Harris, it's a reminder that life is unpredictable and a strong community that comes together during difficult times can be the key to turning the corner.
"You never know how quickly things can change and we felt that change directly in March," Harris said. "This is one of those situations that shows you that however comfortable or successful you have become in your career, things can change very quickly. You never know when you could end up in the same situation as those we are trying to help now. This is one of the small things we can do to help people get by for a week or two, because we are all in this together, going through the same thing."
Mike McElmury, Trustee of Local 385, was not surprised by the ovwhelming turnout each week at the food bank by members that have lost their jobs during the pandemic.
"The members of Local 385 are a tight-knit community – they support each other and stand strong against adversity," McElmury said. "We are averaging between 25-30 volunteers each week over the last four weeks that the Teamsters have participated in the food bank. Union members know the importance of coming together to help each other when the times are tough. I am proud of these Teamsters who have put these families' needs ahead of their own."
More on The Floridant
- Boca Raton Historical Society & Museum Announces Three New Traveling Exhibitions
- Jenn Robinson Joins LARC Board of Directors
- Novitas Solutions awarded MAC JL contract
- League of Women Voters PBC to Host FREE Zoom Discussion on HOME RULE, August 18
- Realtors don't want to be invited to seminars anymore
Founded in 1903, the International Brotherhood of Teamsters represents 1.4 million hardworking men and women throughout the United States, Canada and Puerto Rico. Visit www.teamster.org for more information. Follow us on Twitter @Teamsters and "like" us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/teamsters.
Galen Munroe, (202) 439-7427
Mike McElmury, (202) 437-1156
SOURCE Teamsters Local 385
Filed Under: Business
Latest on The Floridant
- GLOZAL - Creator of the First NFT Music Player™ Announces 20,000 sq. ft. US Headquarters in Downtown Miami
- Guadalupe Center requests back-to-school donations for Immokalee students
- Liquid CORE® Gum Company, Inspired by Iconic Big Waves at Nazaré, Announces Plans to Develop European Factory and HQ in Portugal
- Governor DeSantis Announces $250 Million to Support Economic Recovery for Florida Ports
- GreenPointe Welcomes Patricia Nolan as New General Counsel
- Psychologist Dr. Amy Stark Releases Two Guided Meditations
- NEW Innovative Mobility Device: Zeen® Disrupts Walker/Wheelchair Industries
- Berkshire Hathaway HomeServices Raises more than $15,000, Donates Backpacks to Local Nonprofits
- Charity for Change enhances its online platform and expands curriculum
- Feature Florida Partnerships announces screenplay finalist
- Vibe Yoga offers Parent's Night Out with Kids' Yoga
- Jacksonville: Join JaxParks for a Movie in the Park this Friday
- Filmmaker Kevin Stirling's New Doc "HUBBLE SPACE WONDERS" To Screen Coast-Coast at Woods Hole, Oregon Doc Film Fests; Wins Top REMI at Worldfest-HOU
- Funnel Leasing Completes SOC 2 Type 1 Certification
- Get Into Your Dream Home With DreamLink Mortgage Of Boca Raton, Florida
- Carrier's Board Approves $1.75 Billion Share Repurchase Authorization USA - English USA - English
- XR Industry Directory Launches with 1430 Members: Protect Humanity in Metaverse, Prevent Singularity
- Introducing Mobile First Templates by SlideUpLift
- Ironside Human Resources Celebrates 10 Years
- Heal the Earth Foundation and Miami Blues Band Have Joined Forces to Help the People of Cuba