- Register for the Make Profits Again Summit May 19th - 22nd - 110
- Helios Technologies Signs Definitive Agreement to Acquire the Assets of Joyonway to Further Expand Electronic Controls Platform
- FitterPaws Comfort Dog Chews And Treats
The original installation included three student-made sculptures centered around the theme of local flora and fauna: "Sunshine Mimosa" by Stephen Maygar, "Histor-Tree" by Jennifer Peek and "Deer" by Olivia Warro. The intention was to display these for one year and get replaced by new students' work each year until 2024. However, the pandemic forced UNF classrooms to close, leaving the students without a studio to work in. The new works are finally going to be installed at James Weldon Johnson Park beginning Friday, April 16 and continuing over the next few weeks.
"We love the opportunity to work with community partners to create real life art opportunities for our students. We are grateful for the support and partnership!" UNF Sculpture Professor, Jenny Hager said.
More on The Floridant
- Wash Ninja® Voted 2021 Top 5 Bold City Best Car Wash / Detail Services
- New Book "finding Your Company's Spiritual Purpose" Hopes To Encourage Greater Level Of Community Involvement
- Unice Hair Brand Day × Graduation 2021 SUPER Sale!
- Tommy Bohanon Foundation exceeds fundraising goal to support at-risk youth
- New Report Ends Corporate Media's Favorite False Narrative About Florida's Successful COVID-19 Response
The upcoming sculptures were centered around the theme of bridges, both literal and figurative, and include the following works:
- "The Green Goddess" by Kori Sares (2021), Steel tubing sculpture
- "Bold City Skyline" by Caelen Proctor (Fall 2020), ¼ plate steel and powder coated sculpture
- "Aireachtáil spire" by Will Cobb (2021), Steel sheet and tubing sculpture
The 2019 sculptures, however, may not be going away. Friends of James Weldon Johnson Park is planning a fundraising campaign to keep two of the original pieces. "Part of our mission is to bring vitality to the park," said Liz McCoy, Executive Director, "and the student sculptures are a definitely a vibrant asset that I would love our patrons to enjoy for years to come!"
More on The Floridant
- Following CDC Guidance, Face Coverings Made Optional for Fully Vaccinated Individuals Inside Publix Stores
- Florida: Governor Ron DeSantis Appoints Matthew Bruno as Chair and Chereen Coile to the Early Learning Coalition of Miami-Dade/Monroe Board of Directors
- Governor Ron DeSantis Appoints Four to the Florida Communities Trust Governing Board
- Florida: Governor Ron DeSantis Appoints Two to the Suwannee River Water Management District Governing Board
- Governor Ron DeSantis Appoints Three to the Northwest Florida Water Management District Governing Board
To learn more about the fundraiser, visit www.JamesWeldonJohnsonPark.org and make plans to visit the park for a "Sunshine Happy Hour" fundraiser on May 21, 2021 at 4 p.m.
About Friends of James Weldon Johnson Park: Friends of James Weldon Johnson Park (FOFJWJP), originally Friends of Hemming Park, is a non-profit organization created in 2014 with funding from the City of Jacksonville to revitalize the city's first and most historic public park. Its mission is to transform James Weldon Johnson Park into a modern, urban space that engages diverse communities and restore vitality to our city's public square. This is accomplished by adding and maintaining landscaping and amenities and providing daily programming. In its six and a half years of managing the park, FOJWJP has created a hospitable atmosphere with updated landscaping that is maintained daily, a kid zone, a sculpture garden, a food truck court, and live music performances during lunch hours, while still being compassionate towards our homeless population. Several weekends throughout the year, we offer family-friendly festivals that highlight people of all cultures, embrace history, and use the performing and visual arts as a tool to engage and educate our visitors.
Latest on The Floridant
- New Technology of TRT At Freeze Play Chiropractic & Cyro Servicing Estero & Ft Meyers Florida
- New from Down & Out Books: WANNABE by M. Wallace Herron
- Benchmark International Facilitated the Transaction Between Harryco LLC and Silverbridge Capital
- SW Regional Manufacturers Association announces summer event series
- @KevinDouglasWright Daily Motivational Quotes on Instagram Helps with Life's Challenges and Reaching Goals
- Attorney Bruce L. Scheiner celebrates 50 years of practicing law and service in Southwest Florida
- CareTime Launches Integrated Payments Solution
- KB Home Announces the Grand Opening of Hudson Grove, a New-Home Community in North Jacksonville, Priced from the $270,000s
- Activist/Ganjapreneur Ed "NJWeedman" Forchion Promotes "Puff & Paint" Cannabis Creativity
- Ismail Sirdah's Guide To Landing Event Sponsorships
- Hispanic Women Leaders and We The Women Movement join forces to bring back EMPRESARIAS 2021
- Lake Nona Social relaunches women's events with Sip & Flamingle
- Professional Women of Flagler County to Host Event May 19 at Moonrise Brewing
- SHAREHOLDER ALERT: Robbins LLP Announces That PureCycle Technologies, Inc. (PCT) is Being Sued for Misleading Shareholders
- Legacy Trust Counsel Announces Family Emergency & Wealth Legal Planning Free Workshop
- Florida: Governor DeSantis Signs Bill Allowing To-Go Sales of Alcoholic Beverages by Restaurants
- Register for the Make Profits Again Summit May 19th - 22nd
- Travel + Leisure Co. Declares Cash Dividend
- Fidelity National Financial, Inc. Announces Upcoming Virtual Conference Participation
- Benchmark International Facilitated the Transaction BTW Regatta Real Estate Management Inc & Fyve