"Jim Poppell is a dedicated public servant and consummate professional who agreed to continue serving our state when I became governor after a lengthy career in the private and public sectors," said Governor DeSantis. "Under Jim's leadership at the Florida Lottery, students have benefited from outstanding educational opportunities provided by the department. I thank Jim for his years of service and wish him the very best in retirement. He will be missed."
"Thank you, Governor DeSantis, for your leadership and the opportunity to serve as Secretary of the Florida Lottery during the first year of your transformational administration," said Florida Lottery Secretary Jim Poppell. "The more than 400 employees at the Florida Lottery have worked hard and accomplished much this year, including the successful installation and conversion to a new gaming system. We also just awarded the contract for our new scratch ticket vendor, which will save the state approximately $18 million annually. My wife, Jeanette, and I will be forever grateful to have served you and the people of Florida."
More on The Floridant
- Los Angeles Based, 8th Floor LLC & ChildFaceMask.com Give Back to the Community While Protecting Children from COVID-19, Viruses, Allergies, & more
- The Wheel at ICON Park to open June 3
- Community Foundation of Tampa Bay receives $500,000 commitment from The Humana Foundation
- Post-Pandemic Dental Visits Get Safer as Dr. Mitchell Josephs Pioneers Use of Extra-Oral Suction Technology in His Palm Beach Office
- OCI Announces Appointment of Dr. Luke Matranga, Former President of Academy of General Dentistry, to OCI Dental Advisory Board
Jim Poppell has served as the Secretary of the Florida Lottery since July 2017 where he led more than 400 employees to increase sales and transfers to enhance education while also maintaining relationships with more than 13,000 retailers. Prior to joining the Florida Lottery, Poppell served as Chief of Staff at the Florida Department of Economic Opportunity.
Poppell previously served as Executive Vice President of Human Resources at NextEra Energy, Inc., held several leadership positions at Florida Power & Light Company and was a Litigator with Foley & Lardner LLP.
Poppell received his Juris Doctor from the University of Missouri, his Master of Arts in Spiritual Formation and Leadership from Spring Arbor University in Michigan and his Bachelor of Arts in History from Eckerd College.
A copy of Secretary Poppell's resignation letter to Governor DeSantis is available HERE.
Latest on The Floridant
- MSPA Americas Selects Buena Vista Events & Management
- Jacksonville: Elected Officials Make Unified Statements
- Real Estate Loans Are Closing During Global Pandemic. Just Ask Rickey Biddle of Philadelphia
- Data integration specialist Vorro offers free access to platform and consulting for one month
- STARK Industries, LLC Awarded NASA JPL - VITAL Ventilator Manufacturing License to Combat the Global COVID-19 Crisis
- Intern Pursuit Game Approved By Steam
- Concept Companies Completes Largest Commercial Real Estate Sale in Alachua County Since 2015
- Scientology Info Center Hosts Stay Well Concert Watch Party
- Florida: Governor Ron DeSantis Announces Partnership with Home Depot and Publix to Open Six COVID-19 Testing Sites
- Florida: Governor Ron DeSantis Encourages Floridians to Prepare for Hurricane Season by Taking Advantage of Sales Tax Holiday
- Evolve IP Offers Rapid Deployment of Desktop as a Service to Ingram Micro Partners
- Ohana Moments, The Premier Hand Crafted, Long Lasting Rose Shop Launches New Collection
- Jacksonville Children's Chorus Changing Address, But Not Mission
- 626 acquires the assets of Innovatus CR and DR Business. The World Slows Down. We Move Faster
- Office Anything Continuing To Provide Necessary Furniture For Businesses
- R+M Development Closes on Refinance of Student Housing Project Amidst Pandemic
- Teenage mariachi ensemble records album during pandemic, keeping social distancing guidelines
- M.O.M continues their six year mission to assist struggling families in Tampa Bay
- Getman Takes his Popular Book Fairs into the Virtual World Transforming the Way Buyers Meet Sellers of Rare Books, Maps, Prints and Ephemera
- FGBC Certifies UF's Katie Seashole Pressly Stadium 'Florida Green'