- Realtors don't want to be invited to seminars anymore
- Florida Author George Encizo Releases New Mystery Novel - Anguished
- Dun & Bradstreet Expands Its Board of Directors and Welcomes Banking Industry Veteran Ellen R. Alemany
"While the damage can't be undone, the more than $1.3 billion Florida will receive will help us continue to combat the devastating effects of the nationwide opioid crisis," said Governor Ron DeSantis. "This settlement helps hold these companies accountable for their role in contributing to the opioid epidemic and will provide Floridians struggling with opioid addiction the services they need to recover. I appreciate Attorney General Ashley Moody for championing efforts to address the destruction caused by opioids in Florida."
To see more information on the settlement, please click here.
More on The Floridant
- Digitec Interactive partners with NYU to help schools understand autism & promote inclusion
- GrayRobinson Attorney Tom Cloud Receives Prestigious Paul S. Buchman Award from FMAA
- D.J. Arrazcaeta Named One of "America's Best"
- Make You Shine With Back To School Deals At Beauty Forever Hair Mall
- Boca Raton Historical Society & Museum Announces Three New Traveling Exhibitions
According to the 2020 Interim Florida Medical Examiner Report, there were more than 3,800 opioid-related deaths reported last year, which is a 30.5% increase from 2019, with opioids identified as either the cause of death or present in the deceased. In 2020, more than 3,000 opioid-caused deaths were reported, which is a 51% increase from 2019.
Last year, there were nearly 38,000 opioid overdose emergency department visits among Florida residents. Furthermore, there were 7,138 drug overdose deaths among adults 18 years of age and older in Florida in 2020.
Based on the agreement, the three distributors collectively will pay up to $21 billion over 17 and a half years, with Florida receiving a total of $1.3 billion. The settlement funding will be used to support opioid treatment, prevention and recovery services.
Funding from similar settlement agreements, such as one with McKinsey Consulting, has been harnessed in various ways, including:
- Expanding treatment for opioid use disorders;
- Providing care through the use of provider organizations that treat individuals with substance abuse disorders; and
- Utilizing teletherapy as a strategy to improve access to treatment with therapists who share the same cultural background.
Latest on The Floridant
- DJ Hustle Launches Hustle Level Apparel And Website
- World-Renowned DJ MissNINJA Excited To Spin Records At XFC 45/YoungGuns 3
- Team Tritschler Named One of "America's Best"
- Jamie Devine Brown Named One of REALTrends "America's Best Real Estate Professionals"
- Pet Professional Guild Establishes Advocacy Panel to Broaden Educational Reach
- Miranda Cook Joins Big Daddy Unlimited as the Director of Marketing
- Exhibit Designer Makes Face Shield Designed for Dental Hygienists Open-Sourced
- Here Are The Best 6 Ad Audiences To Target On Facebook
- I Squared Capital Forms Ezee Fiber, a New Digital Infrastructure Platform in Texas and Announces First Platform Acquisition of ICTX WaveMedia
- Florida Port Directors Ready for Waves of Infrastructure Improvements and Revenue Recovery from Investments
- RiskWatch Announces Free Webinar on Physical Security
- Atlantic Key Energy honored by charity partner for exceptional giving
- Snapper Rock Launches Sun-safe 2022 Resort And Spring Collections
- Flagler Beach Historical Museum Celebrates 20th Anniversary with Museum Moondance Fundraiser
- GLOZAL - Creator of the First NFT Music Player™ Announces 20,000 sq. ft. US Headquarters in Downtown Miami
- Guadalupe Center requests back-to-school donations for Immokalee students
- Liquid CORE® Gum Company, Inspired by Iconic Big Waves at Nazaré, Announces Plans to Develop European Factory and HQ in Portugal
- Governor DeSantis Announces $250 Million to Support Economic Recovery for Florida Ports
- GreenPointe Welcomes Patricia Nolan as New General Counsel
- Psychologist Dr. Amy Stark Releases Two Guided Meditations