Tallahassee, Fla. – Today, Governor Ron DeSantis announced the results of the 2020 Florida Military and Defense Economic Impact Study, which shows that Florida's military and defense industry has a $95 billion economic impact. The study is commissioned by Enterprise Florida, Inc. (EFI) and the Florida Defense Support Task Force (FDSTF). The results mark a $10 billion increase from the 2017 study, making military and defense one of the state's top economic drivers. The defense sector also provides 914,787 jobs in Florida, an increase of 113,040 jobs during the past two years.
"The results of this study demonstrate that maintaining and protecting military bases and industry in Florida is a win-win for both Florida and the United States," said Governor DeSantis. "Florida offers unmatched conditions for training air and sea forces with access to some of the highest quality test and training ranges in the country. Florida's military and defense industry has never been more vital to the economic success of our state."
More on The Floridant
- And The Ugliest House Of The Year® is… An Incredible HomeVestors Extreme Makeover in Miami
- YESCO Orlando North Expands its Service Fleet
- Tampa: Temporary Lane Closure N Armenia Avenue to begin January 27, 2020 for Utility Construction
- Tampa: Temporary Lane Closure S 12th Street to begin January 27, 2020 for Utility Construction
- Tampa: Desa the Pirate Pup Betrays Mayor Jane Castor and Commits to the Pirate Life
"Today's announcement is great news for Florida," said Jamal Sowell, Florida Secretary of Commerce and Enterprise Florida President & CEO. "Enterprise Florida and the Florida Defense Support Task Force will continue to maintain Florida's reputation as the most military-friendly state in the nation by strengthening our state's support for military members and their families and ensuring our bases remain resilient."
Other major results of the study demonstrate that, by region, the defense sector has the greatest impact on Northwest Florida, where one-third of the regional economy comes from military spending. Additionally, defense manufacturing has nearly doubled since 2015 with the aerospace and engineering sectors centered in Brevard and Orange Counties leading the way. Finally, Florida boasts the second largest military retiree population and the third largest veteran population of all 50 states. Florida also receives the fourth largest sum of defense contracts among all states and ranks fifth in the country in the number of military personnel.
For more information and to view the complete results of the study, click HERE.
Latest on The Floridant
- Kravis Center Invites Community to Take the Spotlight during HAMILTUNES Karaoke Sing-Along on Sunday,
- Viscosity North America Welcomes Two More From the Oracle ACE Program: Gary Gordhamer & Sean Scott
- Due to the earthquakes in Puerto Rico, 'Inversionistas Hispanos 2020' changes date
- Tampa: Temporary Lane Closure N Himes Avenue began on January 20, 2020 for Utility Construction
- Small Business Class Starts February 10th in Cape Coral
- New McGregor Goodwill Opens Expanding Thrifting Opportunities in the McGregor Blvd Island Plaza
- Flagler County Clerk Announces Public Valentine's Day Marriage Ceremony
- Kistemaker Business Law Group Offering Free Condo/HOA Board Member Certification Class
- Butch Swank Joins The Board Of Directors For Lehigh Community Services
- MEDIA ADVISORY: Founder of BioViva Sciences™, Liz Parrish Presents Telomerase Gene Therapy and Age Reversal
- Venga Global Wins Top 25 HR Vendor Award
- WeCare tlc names new president
- Stor-It Self Storage Adds Fifth Storage Facility in Daytona Beach, FL
- National foundation names Tampa Bay as "Talent Hub," awards grant to increase college degree and credential completion
- Vulcan Boot Camp Receives 2019 Savannah Award
- Golf Gum® and the Liquid Core® Delivery System, Capable of Fueling Better Scores, Announce Debut of SPACE STATION® Distribution Device at PGA Show
- MobilDrTech, Inc. enhances their medical product line with Acumentrics' Pack-Power™ System
- Tampa: Lane Changes on North Florida Avenue between East Bird and West Stanley Streets
- Marina del Palma to Host January 25 Grand Opening Event
- W.J. Castle, P.E. & Assoc., P.C. (CASTLE) has been honored by New Jersey Alliance for Action as a 2019 Distinguished Engineering Award Recipient