CS/HB 1087 removes the FCADV from statute and allows the Department of Children and Families (DCF) to administer all programs related to domestic violence services so that survivors in need of these services can continue to receive vital care.
"The recent developments regarding the Florida Coalition Against Domestic Violence have been alarming and disturbing," said Governor DeSantis. "Today's bill signing is not a celebratory occasion, as it is the result of a deliberate abuse of state dollars, an inexcusable lack of transparency and a calculated breach of public trust. Floridians deserve greater accountability from their government, especially our most vulnerable citizens and survivors. I commend President Galvano and Speaker Oliva for taking swift action on this legislation so that DCF can ensure victims of domestic violence are receiving the care they need."
More on The Floridant
- Jacksonville: Mayor Curry Limits Hotel Guests to Essential Lodgers
- Sweet James Offers Employees Emergency Relief and Help with Medical Bills
- Symplast Announced as Platinum Vendor of the American Med Spa Association; to Present Educational Webinar on Telehealth to all Society Members
- Tampa: Mayor Jane Castor to Host a Facebook Live at 4:30 on COVID-19 Update
- Maestro International Cargo handles sixteen COVID-19 charters in March including three pharma-only charters totaling 200 metric tons
"I'm extremely grateful for Governor DeSantis and our decisive legislative leaders who are unwilling to accept anything less than what the good, hard-working people of Florida deserve," said DCF Secretary Chad Poppell. "By passing this bill and moving away from a sole-source, clearinghouse approach to providing domestic violence services, we can ensure that all organizations tasked with protecting Florida's vulnerable populations – including survivors – do so with integrity and transparency that allows us to hold them accountable."
"As chair of the Senate Health Care Appropriations Committee, transparency and accountability for state dollars are of the utmost importance," said Senator Aaron Bean. "With the Governor's leadership and the signing of HB 1087, it's a new day in Florida when it comes to getting the needed dollars for services to the victims of domestic violence."
"The bill signed by Governor DeSantis today gives the Department of Children and Families the necessary power to provide better care to one of our most vulnerable populations, victims of domestic violence," said Representative Juan Fernandez-Barquin. "The Coalition, a nonprofit substantially funded by taxpayers, has abysmally failed to show they can responsibly allocate taxpayer funds to accomplish their alleged purpose."
For a PDF copy of the transmittal letter, click HERE.
Latest on The Floridant
- Daytona Beach LMHC Offering Telehealth Mental Health Counseling
- HoloBuilder Welcomes Takenaka Corporation to Their Innovators Club
- Forge Legend to Provide Men with Immediate Free Premium Personal Coaching & Transformational Tools as a Result of the COVID-19 Crisis
- The Town Kitchen, PBC launches TTK Provisions to Serve Youth-Crafted, Locally Sourced Food and Essentials to Households in SF Bay Area
- Safety Harbor Restaurant Brings Food and Love to Tampa Bay Area Hospitals
- ASCEND 2020 Alumnae Barbara Jones CEO of Lillii RNB and Calvetta Phair CEO of ReferAll, LLC form teaming alliance to promote new technologies
- The World's First Inflatable Sleeping Bag
- City of Tampa Lights up Red, White, and Blue to Inspire National and Local Pride During COVID-19
- Humanity First USA Medical Supplies Needed
- Former Isley Brother CHRIS JASPER pays tribute to a SAM COOKE classic ..."Nothing Can Change This Love"... Just Released!
- Current conronavirus info and more for Southwest Florida Port Charlotte and other areas
- Virtual Franchise Expo respsponds to COVID-19 with Launch of new website
- Ted J. Leverette Advised Kent Business Investors Limited on Purchase of Pegasus Precision Limited
- COVID-19: Non-profit Donates Supplies to Dockweiler State Beach Quarantine Zone
- Somatic Spiritual Counseling: New Psychotherapy Practice in Boulder, CO + Online
- PSXDigital Offers Free Online Courses to All plus Defers Billing of Current Dealer Partners
- Airforwarders Association applauds passage of CARES Act
- Tampa: Update #1: Lane Closures on North Habana Avenue Between West Saint John and West Saint Joseph Streets
- Tampa: Mayor Jane Castor to Host a Facebook Live at 4:30 on COVID-19 Update on 'Safer at Home' Taking Effect Tonight
- SFLG Recognizes Jennifer Diaz & Diaz Trade Law as Exclusive Top International Lawyer and Law Firm