- Noted storyteller and technologist Angelica McKinley joins the board of NMHA
- Governor Ron DeSantis Appoints Laura Moody to the Eastern Florida State College District Board of Trustees
- Governor Ron DeSantis Appoints Sonya Rood to the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission
"Utilizing funding to make meaningful impacts on Florida communities is an important step we can take towards mitigating storm damage," said Governor Ron DeSantis. "The Sarasota community is better protected because of these projects at Bay Park, and I will continue to work with Secretary Eagle to make sure that communities in need are receiving funding and that our state investments make the biggest impact possible."
The City of Sarasota will use funds received from DEO to make improvements at Bay Park in Sarasota. Projects funded through this grant include water quality improvements to Hog's Creek to restore the natural stream, elevation of Van Wezel Way to protect against flooding, and major shoreline improvements to create a natural shoreline. These projects will enhance resiliency of the park and surrounding areas against storm damage and mitigate damage that could be caused by a major storm impacting the Sarasota coast.
More on The Floridant
- Apyx Medical Corporation to Participate in Upcoming Investor Conferences in June
- Rising to the Challenge of the Human Experience
- Multi-Billion Dollar Wellness Industry is Fatally Flawed and You're Paying the Price: Here's What You Need to Know
- Jacksonville: Council Vice President Terrance Freeman visit Jaxport for Small Business Appreciation Day
- Jacksonville: Military Affairs and Veterans Department to Host Memorial Day Observance
"I applaud Governor DeSantis for providing storm-impacted communities the opportunity to complete large, high-impact infrastructure projects that will continue to pay dividends for future generations," said Secretary Dane Eagle of the Florida Department of Economic Opportunity (DEO). "These investments made in Sarasota will not only help them continue to recover from Hurricane Irma, but will also help them develop a stronger, more resilient economy."
Water quality improvements made to Hog's Creek are expected to mitigate red tide events and enhance the fish quality for community fishermen and families who enjoy the creek. The elevation of Van Wezel Way will create a flood barrier along the park in order to mitigate flooding in the event of a storm and protect key park resources and surrounding buildings. The elevated roadway will also enhance the ability of emergency personnel to reach citizens in need in the event of a storm. Shoreline improvements made as part of this project will create natural infrastructure including a stepped floodwall and a resilient rock revetment which will provide storm and flood protection for the park and surrounding communities.
More on The Floridant
- Up and coming POP / R&B Girl Group Releases New Music Video
- Doral Chamber of Commerce Proudly Welcomes Curso de Credito Miami as a new platinum member
- Doral Chamber of Commerce Proudly Welcomes Amped Fitness as a new platinum member
- Cybersecurity-Focused SYN Ventures Closes $300 Million Fund II
- Industrial IoT edge is now creating savings and opening the door to new revenue sources for enterprises
Rebuild Florida is administered by DEO and allows local governments to develop large-scale infrastructure projects that aid communities in making them more resilient against future disasters.
Rebuild Florida uses federal funding for Florida's long-term recovery efforts from the devastating impacts of natural disasters. The Department is the Governor-designated state authority responsible for administering all U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) long-term recovery funds awarded to the state. For more information, visit RebuildFlorida.gov.
Latest on The Floridant
- Meals on Wheels South Florida Selected to Benefit in the Fresco y Mas Community Bag Program
- Latino Leaders Network to Honor Mayor Tim Keller of Albuquerque with Antonio Villaraigosa Leadership Award at the 36th Tribute to Mayors
- Christy Bradshaw joins Call It Closed International Realty
- High Quality Promotional Products For Your Business
- Neal Fox's Latest Release, "A Message From Shanghai," Drops June 10, 2022 Across Digital Platforms
- Katapult Events Readies For New Era Of Elite Direct Sales Events
- Doral Chamber of Commerce Proudly Welcomes RodWraps as a platinum member
- Richmond American Homes opens new Showhomes at TrailMark
- Jacksonville: Council Member Gaffney Sponsors Legislation for Women's Healthcare Rights Bill
- Lieutenant Governor Jeanette Nuñez and Florida Highway Patrol Host Roundtable to Highlight Human Trafficking and Drug Trafficking Prevention Efforts
- iQor Presents at NICE Interactions Live 2022 Event
- Procurement Partners Welcomes Troy Thibodeau as Chief Marketing Officer
- Florida: Governor Ron DeSantis Announces Nearly $9 Million for Infrastructure and Economic Development for Gadsden County Communities
- Industrial and systems engineers honored at international conference
- Doral Chamber of Commerce Proudly Welcomes back Barlop Business Systems as a Trustee
- 54% OFF! Graduation Season Wigs Surprise Sale!!
- Iconic Full-Service South Florida IT Company Continues Rapid Expansion with Notable Acquisition
- Insurance Website Leader, Forge3, Ltd., Releases All-New Platform Interface, ActiveAgency Dashboard
- Stratum Nutrition® Extends Its Patent Portfolio to Europe and Canada
- St. George's School receives gift of $15 million — largest single donation in its history